Richard and Judy's (mostly rowing) Website
If you've turned up here expecting to gain an insight into
the professional or private lives of the other Richard and Judy (Madeley and Finnigin, UK TV presenters),
then you're in for a disappointment (or maybe not...). If you really are after them, then you may find this Wikipedia page an awful lot more useful. They have a website for their book club too.
Now if anyone's still around, then I guess you really want to be here. Welcome!
Please understand that none of this material is in any way "official" or even "semi-official", and certainly not approved by British Rowing (or anyone else for that matter). For the authentic official view, please consult the appropriate source, e.g. British Rowing for Rules of Racing and Row Safe, or individual club, regatta or head race sites for their local rules. If you find this site generally useful, then great - that's what it's there for. If there are any errors (hopefully not) or omissions (quite probably), or if you've got suggestions for new material or links, then please let us know.
Top rowing sites / links
Rowing Kit Suppliers
Rowing / Water Safety
- Link to the official British Rowing water safety "Row Safe" and incident reporting pages.
- Links to a random selection of Club and Event safety pages
- Boat Checks - remember: before EVERY outing and it's YOUR responsibility; do it because you understand that these simple things matter - not because the rules say so. You know it makes sense!
- Weather / River Conditions
- Lifeguard organisations etc. (involved with rowing events and clubs)
- British Rowing's online services - British Rowing members, including race entry system
- Rules of Racing - if you want to race in the UK YOU need to know these; coaches should, but don't always, tell their crews about them - if your coach hasn't ever mentioned the Rules of Racing, then ask (preferably before your first race!)
- Umpires' flag signals
- The start - Rule 2.4
- The race - Rule 2.5
- The finish - Rule 2.6
At the end of the race the Race Umpire will show either the White Flag or Red Flag to the Finish Judges
- White flag - the Finish Judges can release the result
- Red flag - there may have been a problem with the race, and the Finish Judges should not release the result until the Race Umpire has spoken to them
- Selected events - National
- Selected events - International
- Rio 2016 - Olympics 05-21 Aug, Paralympics 07-18 Sep
- Instruments of torture - I'm sure the manufacturers would claim these are indoor training devices, but we users (even very occasional users like me) know different...
Our rowing CVs
The SMALL PRINT
The small print. Blah blah waffle blah. No legal-speak here, but just so as you know, all the material on this site except where otherwise stated is our own work, in other words, the copyright is ours © R J & J M Packer 2000-2013. In the absurdly unlikely event that anyone visiting here wants to take anything from this site and make any money from it, then ask us first. If you aren't planning to make money out of it, then help yourselves, but it would still be polite to ask, and to acknowledge where you got it from. Thanks. R & J.